[78-L] Get out those old records..

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Tue Jun 9 20:40:11 PDT 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "I. Cubillo" <i.cubillo at telefonica.net>
> Hi, in BritishPathe.com, the page of the famous Pathetone, there are
> several
> filmed documents on record salvage campaigns in England during the 2ndWW,
> when people were asked to give for salvage their old records (broken or
> worn
> out, but I suspect many still usable records went there..).
>
> I was told many years ago, that in Spain, during our terrible
> after-civil-war time, )(early forties) there were also record salvage
> campaigns, and during some years, if you wanted to buy new records, you
> must
> bring old records for salvage.

In WWII, the rapid advance of Japanese forces in eastern Asia cut "the free
world" off from any access to shellac sources. The record industry was on
strike
in the US (the AFM ban) so there was little demand for shellac
(fortunately).

As I understand it, a number of collectors managed to arrange access to the
records turned in for salvage...so a fair number were "rescued"...?!

...stevenc