[78-L] Composers who steal

David Lewis uncledavelewis at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 9 10:22:25 PDT 2009

Mr. Lennick wrote:

Richard Rodgers stole from himself all the time. Oh, sorry, "recycled". "Johnny
One Note" is really a tune that was dropped from Mississippi, something about
Pancho. "No Other Love" was part of the "Victory at Sea" score from a year
earlier ("Beneath the Southern Cross"), and "Blue Moon" went through 3 sets of
lyrics before settling on the final one.

"Something about Pancho" was "Pablo, You Are My Heart," a great tune with hilarious lyrics by Lorenz Hart. It's a tiny bit different from "Johnny One Note" -- not absolutely the same -- but very, very close, both in content, and in chronology (Pablo - 1934; Johnny - 1937). The only recording I know of is the one Rodgers made himself, which I reviewed here:

http://blog.allmusic.com/2008/10/27/ever-hear-richard-rodgers-sing/

There is a 30-second sample of the tune posted there, if anyone is interested.

Uncle Dave Lewis uncledavelewis at hotmail.com