[78-L] ^some guys have all the luck - Now bad words andbroadcast.

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Sat Jun 6 20:10:22 PDT 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Doug Duncan" <d_duncan at ntlworld.com>
> Recently they broadcast the first two seasons of the 'The Wire' on BBC2,
> a free to air channel in the UK, and the main discussion about it was
> that many people here had difficulty understanding the dialogue. I can't
> recall hearing people complain about the content since it was seen to be
> an accurate depiction of the protagonists. It did also make me wonder
> whether it was bleeped in the US.What about the 'N' word that is
> expressed rather frequently.

I was brought up to NEVER use the "N-word"...and that was reinforced
by an incident early in my USAF "career," when our Black "clerk" came
home from a night out (this was in Garmisch, Germany) DEEPLY angry
because he thought he had been called by that word! I had to explain to
him that the German word for "negro" was "Neger" (which sounds VERY
much like the "n-word" when spoken!)...and NO insult had been intended!

In actual fact, Blacks use the "n-word"...either as an "inside joke" among
themselves, or to refer to a particular sort of their fellow Blacks they
don't
care to associate with (with good reason in almost all cases!!). I have been
over the years close enough friends with Black acquaintances that I could
get away with calling them "n-words"...in phrases like "well, you know how
you <n-words> are...!"

...stevenc