[78-L] ^some guys have all the luck - Now bad words and broadcast.

Doug Duncan d_duncan at ntlworld.com
Sat Jun 6 10:04:27 PDT 2009

Steven C. Barr wrote:

> When I FIRST arrived up here in Canada, I was rather astounded
> (having grown up in the US Of A, where the Kingston Trio sang
> [on air] "Well, I don't give a <curious pause> about a greenback
> dollar") to hear, ON AIR, a complete and UNexpurgated recording
> by Firesign Theatre...which included most, if not ALL, of George
> Carlin's "Seven Words...!"
>
> Curious...we now have the "seven-second delay," but I'm not sure
> if anyone actually gives a <F-word> about whether mere "d**ns"
> or "h*lls", let alone more "serious" obscenities, grace the airwaves?!
>
> I have personally heard pre-school tykes rattle off series of  "bad
> words" that would have done honour to my USAF Drill Instructor!?

Recently they broadcast the first two seasons of the 'The Wire' on BBC2,
a free to air channel in the UK, and the main discussion about it was
that many people here had difficulty understanding the dialogue. I can't
recall hearing people complain about the content since it was seen to be
an accurate depiction of the protagonists. It did also make me wonder
whether it was bleeped in the US.What about the 'N' word that is
expressed rather frequently.

Related to this, I would be interested to know whether broadcasters in
the US can talk about drunkenness or not. I have it in my mind that I
heard that some code of practice forbids it. I recall thinking that it
was a curious situation.

Doug