[78-L] Yummy, yummy, yummy [cont]

fnarf at comcast.net fnarf at comcast.net
Sat Jun 6 20:05:53 PDT 2009

"Yummy Yummy Yummy" (the song's actual name) did appear in a Monty Python episode, but despite the credit in that episode to "Jackie Charlton and the Tonettes", that group doesn't exist; it is actually by The Ohio Express, who had the major hit with it. It was written (and sung) by Joey Levine, who worked on a lot of records for the Kasenetz-Katz production team that made so many bubblegum hits.

Bubblegum gets little respect today but was an important force in sixties pop, and the genre encompasses a ton of great records, as good as or bettern than a lot of the "serious" music by "real groups" (many of whom used similar assemblages of studio musicians and songwriters too).