[78-L] ^some guys have all the luck

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Sat Jun 6 19:55:47 PDT 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bud Black" <banjobud at cfl.rr.com>
> In Charlie Daniel's recording of "The Devil Went Down To Georgia," the
> line
> near the end of the song goes, "I told you once you (beep), I'm the best
> there ever was."  I've always assumed the "beep" covered up the words "
> son-of-a-bitch" since the meter of the line would indicate this.  Is there
> recording somewhere that has the beeped phrase left intact?  Or, how about
> Johnny Cash's recording of "A Boy Named Sue," where he sings a line that
> goes, "I'm the (beep) that named you Sue?"  Sounds to me like the same
> epitaph was covered up here.

It MAY be the same "bad word" that appeared in disguise in blues titles of
the thirties/forties...i.e. "I'm a Mean Mother Fer Ya" et al...! I've always
felt
that these were allowed because the white-guy record-firm executives
were totally UNaware of the relevant "bad word"...to the point they probably
thought that there was not only no such word...but that it couldn't possibly
exist (or HAVE existed?!)!

My late father was a SERIOUS swearer (to the point that when I was five,
I called red traffic lights "sonofabitches" because I had heard my dad use
the
term so regularly!!)...but he carefully NEVER used the "f word" (or even
the "s word" for faeces!) in front of us childrens!!

Of course...that was then, and this is NOW! I have more than once heard
pre-school kiddies rattle off strings of obscenities that would have done my
USAF "drill instructor" proud!!

Ah, well...things f***in' change, don't they?!

...stevenc