[78-L] ^some guys have all the luck

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Fri Jun 5 12:01:57 PDT 2009

From: David Lennick <dlennick at sympatico.ca>
> Or a genius tech and a genius assistant producer could note
> the time where a bad word had been uttered and be ready to
> bleep it when it was being re-fed..I kid you not. This didn't
> always work, leaving listeners to say "Boy, what did he really
> say if they let THAT go through?"

During the year I was manager of Northwestern Univ's station I am proud
to say that we got three obscenity complaints to the FCC.  We got off
scott free on all of 'em.  The third one concerned a late night airing
of the Kama Sutra album on Vanguard in a classical music show because it
had classical sitar music on it.  The first two concerned live coverage
of speeches of the lawyers of the Chicago 7.  Two of the defendent's
wives had uttered obscenities.  The second time we were prepared with a
tape delay but an operator who misunderstood my instructions.  Instead
of waiting seven seconds and cutting the air playback for two seconds,
when he heard the obscenity he cut the air playback for seven seconds
and then restored it just in time to air the obscenity following seven
seconds of silence.  We were accused of EMPHASIZING the obscenity by
surrounding it with silence!

Don't you love live radio!!!

Mike (of course in most other countries they wouldn't care) Biel
mbiel at mbiel.com