[78-L] Gertrude Berg is funny!

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Fri Jun 5 10:25:58 PDT 2009

Shortly after Correll and Gosden put "Amos 'n' Andy" on the network in
1929 following over a year on recorded syndication, Berg wrote and
starred in "The Rise of the Goldbergs" on NBC, also as a daily serial
program.  The main difference was that she and most of the cast were
Jewish, the ethnic group of the program, while Correll and Gosden were
Whites playing Blacks.  Beyond the live then filmed TV sit-com versions
of "The Goldbergs" she appeared on Broadway in 1960 in "A Majority of
One" co-starring with Sir Cedric Hardwicke.  Their pairing was so
popular (especially when they did a scene from the show on Ed Sullivan)
that they then starred in a TV sit-com together "Mrs. G. Goes To
College", but the movies recast their roles to Rosalind Russell and Alec
Guiness in the Majority of One movie.  dl's post has the rest of the
story.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com