[78-L] Gertrude Berg is funny!

Jim Whipkey suuford at msn.com
Fri Jun 5 09:55:08 PDT 2009

Have finished listening to  my  newly acquired Gertrude Berg  LP,  How to be
a Jewish Mother.   It's hilarious,  must have been recorded late 1950s,
there are references to astronauts. I take exception with the premise,
however,  Jewish mothers have no exclusive on her methods.  My own Mother's
guilt trip attempts  caused me to often tell her she was a "great Jewish
Mother", she never did get it.
Lot of  wonderful material in the LP,  one which stands out for me is the
son tells his Mother he won a Pontiac convertible, her reply?  Wonderful,
the insurance alone will break us!

When did  Gertrude Berg die? and  while I  know her only from the Goldberg
TV show, what else is in her resume?
Jim Whipkey