[78-L] OT - VHS to DVD converter

Steve Ramm steveramm78l at hotmail.com
Wed Jun 3 08:09:42 PDT 2009

I don't want to tie up the list with this but can use an OFF list reply or two.

I'm back to wanting to transfer my VHS tapes to DVD. Many are commercial videos which may have copy protection so may not be a good idea anyway.

But I want to do this simply and cheaply in a combo machine. I don't want to try to plug in my VCR into my PC - logistics don't work - so not an option.

I see a bunch of single VCR/DVD Recorder units out there but they are running over $200. and most are there to record from TV as well. I don't need that. I just want a stand alone unit. The reason to convert is to break up the Videos into chapters.

I know that Go-video has a unit but there are others out there. Is there anyone who has found a good reasonable unit to do this project? What did you get and where did you get it?

I think some do it at high speed. Also, will a 6 hour VHS fit on one DVD? I'm not looking for SUPER high quality. Just at least what the VHS at SLP Speed gave me.

Any help appreciated. I'd appreciate replies off list. I'll share results with others.

Thanks!

Steve Ramm