[78-L] record pressing plants

Bill McClung bmcclung at ix.netcom.com
Wed Jun 3 06:10:36 PDT 2009

I had to ask David what an orphan label is. He graciously explained.

According to a Bullet blues compilation cd booklet by Fred James when
Bullet shut down in 1952 some of the masters were sold but most were
trashed.  In the late 50s Red Wortham, who was a former Bullet employee,
and Jim Bulliet revived the label.  They already had partnered in the Delta
and J-B labels and when they revived Bullet they also started Sur-Speed
Records. Bulliet bowed out and Wortham ran Bullet/Sur-Speed into the
mid-70s.  In 1996 Wortham sold the Bullet, Delta, and Sur-Speed masters to
Bluesland Productions.