[78-L] Yiddish Home on the range

Jim Whipkey suuford at msn.com
Wed Jun 3 07:21:31 PDT 2009

I've just played a 78 which is a Yiddish  "Home on the Range".  Got a  big
pile of records last night, couple milk crates full and  have just started
to sort and listen. By chance, one of the first  was in Yiddish,  then a
little English, but the song is unmistakeably "Home on the Range". The title
is Haim Afen Range.  It's wonderful!.  Can't wait to listen to the rest,
there's some  recordings by a Cantor, some by Al Jolsen, etc.  The Range
recording is by Mickey Katz and his  Kosher-Jammers,  a purple label RCA
Victor.  Flip side is "Yiddish Square Dance", which I haven't heard yet.
Any ideas on its history, age, etc?
Jim Whipkey