[78-L] Remember the Alamo

soundthink at aol.com soundthink at aol.com
Wed May 27 15:16:08 PDT 2009

Want to recommend a new book that just came across my desk. "Music of the Alamo" by William Chemerka & Allen Wiener. The book traces all printed and recorded references to events related to the fall of the Alamo in 1836. Included is a full listing (although far from a discography) of recordings and sheet music dating back to the 19th century. The records at least give label, year released,?and disc numbers. There seems to be a complete list of records from the 78 era, but once the Disney TV show "Davy Crockett" hit in 1955, you find a virtual flood of recordings dealing with the show, Crockett, and the Alamo. Lots of full color images of record labels, sheet music and ephemera. It was nice to see a copy of the Gusto 45 of Fess Parker's original promotional recording of "Davy Crockett," which I'd never seen before. Parker even wrote the foreword! I haven't had a chance to check for slip-ups, omissions, or factual errors, but the research looks pretty thorough. Really nice work by Bright Sky Press.

Just something to chew on while the ARSCers are having fun in D.C.

Cary Ginell