[78-L] Multi-track 78's...

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Sun May 24 20:56:39 PDT 2009

Preston Sandiford is real. Or was.
http://www.nejazz.org/prestonSandiford1983.php

A number of the artists on the Solitaire labels were the real article,
including Professor Sandy and Peggy King, but there were lots of others I was
never sure about. Art Zimmerman knows some of the artists and occasionally we
hear from him here..Robert Angus also seemed to know about Solitaire, but he
seems to have left us. Solitaire also inherited (or licensed non-exclusively)
the product of many small labels, so Lena Horne, Frankie Laine and Pee Wee Hunt
turn up under their own names on LP, and probably recycled on multi-track 78s
as well, but Solitaire was also a pirate label..its classical repertoire was
swiped from anywhere and everywhere.

Once we get into the "6 Top Hits" on the Solitaire group labels, it's anything
goes. Tops seems to have identified its performers, especially since Scatman
Crothers was among them, and Mimi Martel was real as well.

Double Feature was a descendant of VitaCoustic/Universal and Caravan, and those
turned up in Canada as part of the Solitaire group as well..I have a
Harmonicats on a Canadian Cameo issue.

Enoch Light produced lots of budget recordings and used Artie Malvin on quite a
few vocals..anything on Waldorf or related multi-track labels likely uses the
performers' real names, since I have Paul Whiteman and Wally Cox on some of
these (including at least one microgroove 78 with *8* tracks per side).

Good luck!

dl