[78-L] Multi-track 78's...

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Sat May 23 22:43:24 PDT 2009

Okeh...a new project upon which I am "embarking!"

One of the very few unexplored areas among 78rpm phonorecords
is (are?) the innumerable four/six/usw.-track records issued from
c.1950 or so through c.1956 (or later)! I have accumulated MANY
examples of these...and am using MS Access to try to create lists
of the (supposed) artist identities used on these relative to the issued
titles!

So far, it appears that the songs were made available individually...
IOW, an individual phonorecord will include tunes which appear
on other examples...with identical or similar artist credits.

One wonders how many desparate artists were involved in cutting
these tracks...usually more-or-less anonymously?!

When I am in a position to do so, I will create a web site including
such data as I have been able to accumulate; as well, I will start
asking for details of such similar records as other listeners happen
to own...and I welcome donations of these phonorecords as well!

Quite a number of players/singers cut these records...usually under
"assumed names"...?! This being over fifty years past, these folks
had "recording careers" they could NEVER claim!

Was there really a "Preston Sandiford?!" We know there WAS
an "Enoch Light" who may have been the CMFIC of "Waldorf"
trcords...but there were MANY other quasi-anonymous artists
involved in cutting these discs...?!

...stevenc