[78-L] Need Help to ID Language/Country

Donna Halper dlh at donnahalper.com
Sun May 24 10:01:18 PDT 2009

And one of the songs, the one about "Dsihwoj' pee kundsina" comes up
in a search I did of scholarly music history journals--the Journal of
the Royal Music Association.  Evidently, the Latvian language
migrated away from Russian Cyrillic script when Latvia gained some
sort of autonomy in the 1860s or 70s (I'm not an expert on Baltic
history-- sorry), and the journal article says it further changed in
the 1920s.

Back to the title of one of the 78s. The essay I read about Latvian
music says the song "Dsihwoj' pee kundsina" is a traditional folk
song about a peasant (evidently under feudalism) who has a benevolent
master.  The journal article, "A Garland of Songs for a Nation of
Singers" by Kevin Karnes says nothing more about that particular
song-- the translation of the title is something like "I lived on a
nobleman's estate," and it was first collected by a folklorist in
1872 or so.