[78-L] Nice article on George Avakian in today's WSJ

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Tue May 19 06:57:52 PDT 2009

Interesting coincidence.  I had just mentioned him yesterday on the
ARSCList in relation to his Columbia reissues as to whether they used
original master pressings.  Steve Barr had contended that since many
1920s Columbia and OKehs were 10-1/4-inches in diameter, they had to be
dubbed to reduce the size.  I reminded everyone that those "oversize"
pressings were the ones that were actually 10.0-inches and that
"regular" sized 78s were actually 9-7/8-inches.  I brought up Avakian
because he might be able to tell us about the use of original masters in
those sets, because some started out with master pressings and later
copies were sometimes dubs.  Uncle Wilski, got George's email address?

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com

From: Steve Ramm <steveramm78l at hotmail.com>