[78-L] Garage Sale Find - Disc New York 12" 78 rpm Record

Bill McClung bmcclung at ix.netcom.com
Mon May 18 07:11:03 PDT 2009

I always assumed that Disc, Disc New York, and Super Disc were siblings.
My Disc New York 10 inch 78s are all of Lonnie Johnson.

Is
> there a different tune on the back or is Lady Be Good in two parts? And
if so,
> do the sides run three minutes or are they longer? "Disc New York" isn't
listed
> in Lord, but I've seen that label myself on other material.
>
> dl
>
> 78records at cdbpdx.com wrote:
> > Went to a garage sale today and picked up a 12 inch 78 rpm record with
a label I've never seen before, called DISC NEW YORK.  Song title was Lady
Be Good by Gershwin - instrumental.  Almost left it behind, just got it
because it had an unusual label and only cost 50c, but when I played it
there was some of the finest jazz I've ever heard!  Took a close look at
the small print on the label and it listed Lester Young, Willie Smith,
Charlie Parker, Howard McGhee, Arnold Ross, Lee Young, and Billy Hadnot.