[78-L] BVE vs BS, was Bluebird 6120

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Sun May 17 21:25:18 PDT 2009

Royal Pemberton wrote:
> On 5/18/09, David Lennick <dlennick at sympatico.ca> wrote:
>> Remote recording sessions might still have been using the BVE system, no?
>> For
>> that matter, the Boston Pops' JALOUSIE (July 1935) exists with both the oval
>> and diamond VE logo.
>>
>> dl
>
> Do the diamond and oval VE versions sound identical, or are there
> significant differences?

I'd have to play them side by side, but about 14 years ago when I had too much
time on my hands, I tried synchronizing them to see if I could get pstereo.
Strictly analog, difficult to keep exactly on pitch and in phase, and probably
not different at all..although the possibility exists that two masters were cut
(which was usually the case) and they were cut with different heads.