[78-L] Presto cutter

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Sat May 16 16:02:34 PDT 2009

From: "Ron L'Herault" <lherault at bu.edu>
> You can actually record on used X ray film

Some of the Bela Bartok pre-war Hungarian broadcasts included in the
Hungariton box sets we discussed a week or so ago were recorded on X-Ray
sheets.  I have told the story before of how I finally got a Soviet era
x-ray film record (Of Les Paul's Johnny (Is the Boy For Me)) in 1995 at
the Izmaliavo Flea Market in Moscow.  They were nicknamed "rock on the
bones".  I have on videotape me thumbing thru Valari Safoshkin's large
collection of them the week before.

> and, from what I am told onto CDs (preferably ones that have
> been ruined for some reason and cannot be used for digital
> recording any longer.  Ron L

Polycarbonate does not cut well, it crumbles instead.  As Royal said, it
gives a very noisy recording.  I have also already told how I did an
ARSC presentation about the history of instantaneous recording where I
ended with a Columbia CD that I had played on a CD player and then put
it on a wind-up Victrola X and played an edit of the Columbia
Double-Disc Record demo I had cut on it with a Presto K.  Truly, a
DOUBLE-DISC!!!!

From: simmonssomer
> Can one get sapphire tips and recording blanks these days?
> Al Simmons

Yes, but because they are made only for professional use in limited
quantities they are VERY expensive.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com