[78-L] Eurovision Finals^

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Sat May 16 15:46:34 PDT 2009

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: [78-L] Eurovision Finals^
From: Julian Vein <julianvein at blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Sat, May 16, 2009 6:04 pm
To: 78-L Mail List <78-l at klickitat.78online.com>

Bertrand CHAUMELLE wrote:
> France had a good record in the contest, back in the 60's and '70's but
> never won afterwards.
>

> But I found her song devoid af any melody, and the big-voiced Swedish
> girl that followed her was a painful contrast....I mean painful for
> those who had placed any hopes in Patricia Kaas.
>
> BC
===============
Just tried watching it for a few minutes, but was bitterly disappointed.

What was so great about the Norway entry?  It got almost double the
votes of the runner up.  The song was bland, the performer just a guy
with a fiddle, three guy dancers, and two harmony singers in
floor-length gowns.

But then, I thought it was the Eurovision Dong Contest!  Julian Vein

I wasn't looking for the dongs, but right now Leah is scanning thru the
discs to find any.  I was checking out some of the womens' costumes,
such as Turkey and Crete, and, of course, Germany's routine that
included Dita Von Teese!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! but even with her the outfits
still weren't generally as great as some I've seen on UTube from the San
Reno festival and the covers of the San Reno LPs.

> So we think it was a good move to enter Patricia Kaas in the
> competition because she's "more than a star, an icon" among the
> Russians, I'm told.

They interviewed her in the pre-show on Russian TV along with five or
six other acts.  They also had on one of the grand old ladies of Soviet
era folksongs who really wowed the young audience.  Also in the audience
was Vladimir Zhirinovsky (the late Soviet-era politician most known for
being a proud bigot) and he praised this woman and her Russian heritage.
 He was not as enthusiastic for the Ukranian who was interviewed next.
We don't see him in the post-show on now, but did see an interview with
one of our favorite Russian game show hosts Dimitri Dibrov.  (Our
favorite is Nickolai Fomenko, originally a singer with the Soviet-era
rock group Secret.  One of his shows featured a penalty where the loser
of each question had to strip.  The other show was a KID'S show!!)  But
now we are watching a UTube interview with Graham Norton, so we are
getting some of the good stuff also.  He really made some funny comments
that surely would have gotten him in trouble if it wasn't him.  He
probably was very sweet on the guy from Norway and I wonder what his
post win comments are.  Hope they will be posted.  He just commented on
the girls from the Turkey routine, which is surprising.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com