[78-L] Prices of 78s

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Thu May 14 23:05:16 PDT 2009

Over the last year or two, I have picked up several large groups of 78's
for VERY advantageous prices...mostly around 5 cents per record
or LESS! No rarities, of course...but mostly nice playable copies of
thirties/forties 78's...!

BTW...whatever happened to the HUGE collection that the late
(I'm assuming?) Peter Leavitt was selling off lot by lot? IIRC, this
was a well-known collection...at least a couple hundred thousand
discs...and I suspect there were many left when Leavitt died/
retired/was eaten by weasels/wotever...?!

I'm looking for mail auctions with affordable minimums (letting
Kurt out...?!) which include a lot of teens/twenties miscellaneae...
NOT famous and valuable jazz rarities...but simply Banners/Regals/
Perfects/the like that I don't already own. Leavitt's list offered
near-numericals of such labels...great for "hole filling" in my
quest for as close as possible to a copy of EVERY non-classical
78 ever issued...!

...stevenc