[78-L] Prices of 78s

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Thu May 14 21:35:51 PDT 2009

Taylor Bowie wrote:
> David,  I don't know the Hawthorne or Reiss list but are you saying that if
> you win something from them that you pay your full bid,  even if the
> underbidder was way below you?

Some days you eat the bear, some days the bear eats you. Don't worry, I don't
have any more wise sayings.

> I would not consider those to be real auctions,  but more like "make offer"
> lists,  where the seller accepts the highest offer regardless of the amount
> of the second highest.

Actually these are "traditional" auctions, and this is the way record auctions
operated for many years, since you don't know what the next highest bid was.
And in the Hawthorns' case, you find out how much you lost by since the "items
you didn't win" are enumerated in your invoice (no crying towels included).

> I just received my winning list from the most recent Nauk and I was stunned
> as to how many items I won at the minimum bid,  regardless of how much more
> I had offered.  I sure prefer paying three bucks for something rather than
> 25 or 30,  which was the case with several records.

Same here..I won a record I needed to fill a gap, for about half what I
actually bid.

dl