[78-L] "Selling Sounds" reviewed

Bill McClung bmcclung at ix.netcom.com
Wed May 13 18:51:46 PDT 2009

I'm kinda sorry I got involved in this discussion.

First, I'm not a machine guy.  I'm in this for the records.  The machines
sure are purty but I doubt if I would know a Crapophone if it crapophoned
on my shoe.

Second, what I meant was that they probably couldn't use any form of the
Nipper image without permission.

Third, the author probably did see the cover and I'm guessing he's not a
machine guy either.  The book itself got a good review.  I've always
thought it was the music that counted and that it was a plus if the  jacket
was good too.

Fourth, I don't work for Harvard Univ Press.  I get a shot at helping fix
covers with most of the 40 publishers I do work with and I've fixed many a
cover over the years.  If I had seen this one I hope I would have asked
them to take another look at the illustration.

Fifth, the industry I've worked in for the past 35 years is rapidly
changing.  Yes, there are still independent bookstores out there and I call
on and sell books to more than a hundred of them.

And sixth, I'm glad Nipper isn't dead, just knocked on his ass.

http://www.amazon.com/Selling-Sounds-Commercial-Revolution-American/dp/image