[78-L] "Selling Sounds" reviewed

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Wed May 13 09:41:25 PDT 2009

From: "Bill McClung" <bmcclung at ix.netcom.com>
> And I'm thinking that cover was drawn and not photographed.

http://www.amazon.com/Selling-Sounds-Commercial-Revolution-American/dp/images/067403337X

This enlargement shows pretty clearly that this is a photograph.
Although it might have photoshopped the dog into the picture, if it was
a painting why would they have used an unmodified Crapophone when even
if the artist had used a Crapophone as a model he could have modified
that horn joint so it would look like a legit machine.  If it was a
painting and it was left looking like a Crapophone, that is WORSE than
using a photograph!  Plus the reproducer is on the wrong side of the
turntable.  This is from HARVARD UNIVERSITY PRESS.  I expect higher
academic standards from a university press, especially from Harvard.

> I thought it was a pretty effective visual joke.

OK, what is your interpretation of the cover?  What does the visual joke
mean? Is the dog dead, or is it rolling in ecstasy?  There seem to be
two opinions in the matter.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com