[78-L] RadioRe: This Will Make Radio Even MORE Dead

Kristjan Saag saag at telia.com
Wed May 13 02:26:54 PDT 2009

--
Your timeline is a bit confused here, I'm afraid.
The independent local radio stations in Britain didn't start until the
1970's, when the pirates were already dead and gone (except for Radio
Caroline they all closed down in august 1967).
True, the BBC's willingness to satiate the increasing hunger for rock music
was as bad as for most public service stations in Europe in the early
1960's. But the influence of the large record companies on BBC was, I'd say,
proportional to their output. As was the influence of the emerging small
ones. There were no principal obstacles for any record company to have their
music played on the BBC.
The real problem was Radio Luxemburg, the landbased station which broadcast
to all of Europe in different languages, and whose English speaking pop
broadcasts on 208 meters (1440 kHz) were targeted at the UK but heard and
enjoyed all over Europe. It was this commercial "alternative", Radio
Luxemburg, who failed to pick up the sounds of the new labels, because their
airtime was paid for by...you guessed it: EMI, Decca and Pye. And the
station's profile, as such, was, well into the mid 1960's, a mixture of new
music and easy listening stuff, combined with Bingo, Christian teachings and
other odd advertising, which didn't suit the younger audiences at all. The
pirates were, with few exceptions, all focused on the latest releases of pop
music and offered far more opportunities for the dj's to plug tunes of their
personal liking. That was a huge difference to the heavily structured
formats of the BBC and Radio Luxemburg.

---
> The performers should have made sure they had long term royalty agreements
> with their
> record company with clauses that required the companies to keep their
> records in the catalog.  That would have been their pension.  Right now
> most performers' contracts have long since expired, and even if they
> haven't the record companies could delete their records and POOF! there
> would go their royalties on sales.
---
Yeah, in an ideal world this would be so. But precisely because of the fact
that record companies can't keep an endless back catalogue in order to
satisfy the needs of a minority of customers, the musicians' organizations
in Europe were able to reach agreements with public broadcasters, be it on
the air or in a candy store, to pay for the recordings they use (even older
ones) in order to entertain their customers or audiences. That's the pension
agreement. And a much better one than a youngster at 20 would get dealing
with a record company...

Kristjan