[78-L] RadioRe: This Will Make Radio Even MORE Dead

Julian Vein julianvein at blueyonder.co.uk
Wed May 13 00:34:33 PDT 2009

Michael Biel wrote:
  >> Although I strongly oppose the 70 year copyright extension which
may be
>> about to happen in Europe, I do respect the right of performers to earn a
>> living from their performances during the existing copyright period.
>
> Gee, I'd also love to continue to get new payments for things I did at
> my job 30 or 40 years ago. That's why I paid into my pension with my
> employer and now have a good income in my retirement.  The performers
> should have made sure they had long term royalty agreements with their
> record company with clauses that required the companies to keep their
> records in the catalog.  That would have been their pension.  Right now
> most performers' contracts have long since expired, and even if they
> haven't the record companies could delete their records and POOF! there
> would go their royalties on sales.

> Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com
There's one group who seem to have been forgotten in all this--the
recording engineers! Surely they are deserving of royalties for making
the music available in the first place? Ditto, all the others involved
in getting the record pressed and to the shops.

It's not just in the entertainment industry that the public continue to
enjoy somebody's efforts. This applies to plumbers, electricians,
builders etc.

      Julian Vein