[78-L] This Will Make Radio Even MORE Dead

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Mon May 11 07:35:05 PDT 2009

Michael Shoshani wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-05-11 at 05:51 -0700, Alan Bunting wrote:
>
>> It is my understanding that playing records is "free" on American radio stations is because it was originally seen by the record companies as a good source of advertising so they allowed it to happen.
>
> Actually, it wasn't. Record companies went to great lengths to prevent
> their music from being played "for free" on radio during the 1920s and
> 1930s, with most labels putting a notice that read "Not Licensed For
> Radio Broadcast" on the record label itself.

But it didn't stop them. Fred Waring actually stopped recording in 1933 since
there was no other way to prevent radio stations from putting together programs
of his records.

> Radio was deadly
> competition back then, because who would want to spend 35c to $1 on a
> record when one could hear the same songs free of charge on the radio?

The Compo Company in Canada instituted a ban on radio play of all Decca (and I
presume Apex and Starr) records unless a fee was paid. This happened in 1940
and lasted into 1949. No other record company did this and eventually the radio
stations started playing Decca records with impunity..one DJ told me that the
first disc they played was "Goodnight, Irene". One side effect is that I never
find pre-1949 Decca records in radio station libraries, except for reissues.

dl