[78-L] Movie anachronisms

Harold Aherne leotolstoy_75 at yahoo.com
Thu May 7 20:34:15 PDT 2009

One of the most egregious phono-related anachronisms is in "An American Tail"
(dare I admit that I actually watched that as a youngster?). I came across it on
a cable TV airing a few years ago, and I noticed an internal-horn cabinet phonograph
in one scene--which wouldn't be so bad, except that the movie takes place in 1885!

"Angels with Dirty Faces" opens with a newspaper shot mentioning the nomination
of a 1920 presidential candidate--I forgot whether it was Cox or Harding. Anyway,
a few minutes later a character mentions seeing "The Covered Wagon", which
wasn't released until March 1923.

"Penny Serenade" has an early scene in a record/phono shop where Irene Dunne
meets Cary Grant. "You Were Meant for Me" is playing, suggesting the rough period
the scene is supposed to represent, but the arrangement and singing style are
definitely more typical of the early 40s than the late 20s. And some of the phonos
they used for the shop look like early 20s Victor consoles.

-Harold