[78-L] Ancient Japanese record...help!

Mark Hendrix 78L gennett5276 at sbcglobal.net
Mon May 4 20:13:13 PDT 2009

Hello, Taylor:

I'm sure our Japan-based friend Hopkins/Kato will have more information.
And I can't give your interesting post the attention I would like to right
now.  But the Nipponophone label did put out single-sided records (with a
logo of an eagle perched on a gramophone) and I wonder if what you have is
perhaps some export version.  You can see a rather washed out scan of this
label here:

http://www.tedstaunton.com/labels/1910-1919.pages/Nipponophone/nipponophone.
htm

Nipponophone was eventually gobbled up by Columbia, and, interestingly,
Japanese Columbia in the immediate postwar era produced a gold on black
Eagle record for sale to US servicemen stationed there, featuring Japanese
music.  (I believe the same selections are available to Japanese public on
the regular maroon Columbia label).

There are many examples of Western-styled dance music recorded by Japanese
orchestras prior to World War II.  The book "Blue Nippon" suggests that many
of the earliest of these styled themselves after Paul Whiteman,
unsurprisingly.  I have a couple of Japanese CDs that feature a few samples
of this material, but as they are compilations (of Victor material) spanning
the late 1920s through the mid-1950s, there are only a few samples.  I'm
blanking on the names of the CDs.  Naturally, you'd have the best luck
finding more 78s like these in Japan.

I hope what little I know helps, and isn't too riddled with errors.

--Mark Hendrix

PS, Shizuko Kasagi rules!