[78-L] Eurovision on 78

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Sun May 3 19:51:18 PDT 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bertrand CHAUMELLE" <chaumelle at orange.fr>
> Steven,
> You're right about the electricity factor, but Canada kept on making
> 78s until 1962, at least, I could give you some Pathé references as
> evidence.

I have Canadian Columbia and RCA Victor 78's dating through mid-
1960...as well as other Canadian labels. I don't recall EVER having
seen Canadian 78's from 1962, though. AFAIK, there were issues
of Francophone European Pathe discs...but I don't have any reference
works applicable to such phonorecords...!

AFAIK, the last commercially-issued 78rpm phonorecords date to
1967 or so, and are UK-pressed "background-music" discs meant
for radio station use...?! There were, of course, a number of special
"78's" as promotional issues...usually on 10" vinyl discs! In fact, I
have a RCA(C) 78rpm vinyl disc one side of which is STEREO!
This was originally part of a two-disc set...and the one I DON'T own
seems to have been QUADrophonic! I don't know that this disc was
also 78rpm...?! Date probably 1968!

...stevenc