[78-L] Johnny Standley

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Sun May 3 16:05:34 PDT 2009

agp wrote:
> At 18:47 02/05/2009, Dave Lennick wrote:
>> This disc sold so well that you can be sure of finding a copy in just about
>> every collection, and the Canadian pressings are of three types: crappy
>> shellac, better soft shellac with a bit of vinyl mixed in, and laminated. All
>> came from the Sparton plant.
>
> Dave
>
> One question about this -- well one I hope :-)
>
> I looked at my copy, and it would appear that while the records were
> pressed by Sparton, the masters were made by Capitol in the USA as
> the record has the same little house-like emblem/ factory-mark in the
> dead wax of the run out grooves as US Capitols are the same era.
> Sparton pressed Columbias don't have this mark. I'll admit that I
> don't know alot about this, so would Capitol USA have sent metal
> parts to Sparton?
>
> Tony

Yup. Sparton pressed Capitol in Canada from 1949 till some time in 1954, at
which point Capitol set up its own distribution branch and switched pressing to
RCA. I don't believe Sparton produced any of its own masters till it lost both
Capitol and Columbia in the same year and had to come up with alternatives
(plus available indy labels like ABC-Paramount, Bally, Oriole, Allegro and others).