[78-L] Eurovision on 78

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Sat May 2 21:34:49 PDT 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Kristjan Saag" <saag at telia.com>
>I wrote:
>>> Very few British labels had cancelled the 78 rpm format in 1959; some
>>> recordings were >> still issued on 78 rpm only.
>>> Philips, BTW, was the last company to offer the 45 rpm format in
>>> Britain.
>>> That happened as late as January 1958.
> Mark L. Bardenwerper, Sr. wrote:
>> I think the war held back a lot of advancements in Europe.
> No, this was pure British conservatism. The rest of Western Europe
> followed
> the North American agenda: Sweden issued its last 78's in 1958, Germany
> about the same time, France as well...
> The war, as always, was just as important for the development of new
> technology (Decca's Full Frequency Range Recordings, for instance, the
> development of plastics) as it was detrimental to it.

Canada continued to press 78rpm discs through 1959...but primarily
(1) "Hit" records (usually rock'n'roll) or (2) c&w discs. These were
probably intended for northern communities, where electricity was
yet to become available...making "wind-up" (78 rpm) machines the
ONLY way to hear music...?!

...stevenc