[78-L] How Well Did They Do It

Bill McClung bmcclung at ix.netcom.com
Fri May 1 08:41:40 PDT 2009

What do you think it is that attracts you to this period?  Instrumentaion?
Beat?  Feel?  What sparks the passion?

For me it's both beat and "good" musicianship.  I'm just not drawn to
ballads or almost anything with a slower tempo.  Maybe it's just my ADD at
work.

parties that were mainly for dancing and I listened to everything from
Benny Goodman and Harry James to Russ Morgan and Eddy Howard.
>  I never missed "Your Hit Parade" on television It became my favorite
show. In 1955 I started listening to Doo Wop and really loved it. By the
early 60's my main interest was big band swing. In 1971 on a camping trip I
found around 20 records in a flea market all from the late 20's through
early 30's. From that point on until today almost all my interest has been
focused on dance band recordings from that period. I still like all the
other music I listened to growing up But the late 20's through early 30's
is my passion.