[78-L] How well did they do it

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Thu Apr 30 10:01:48 PDT 2009

joe at salerno.com wrote:
> 78s were all direct to disc,

No No No No NO!!!!!!!!!!  They weren't ALL direct-to-disc.  From around
1940 practically no Columbia 78 were direct-to-disc.  They were almost
all dubs from 16-inch 33s.   Same with many other companies including
Decca.
>  no tape editing, there's an honesty about
> them. no technical assistance to correct a flaw.

There are many instances of modifications and editing.  I forget which
singers, but there is a famous opera recording where a different soprano
is edited in on the final high note.  I noted many places in the Victor
ledger sheets for Spike Jones where they redubbed a master to tone down
a gunshot or some other thing like that.  And don't forget the Caruso's
with the electrically recorded orchestra over the dubbed voice.
> what you play is what you get.   joe salerno

Don't be so sure!!

Mike Biel   mbiel at mbiel.com