[78-L] Eurovision on 78

agp agp2176 at verizon.net
Wed Apr 29 14:04:16 PDT 2009

The month of May marks the 53rd annual Eurovision Song Contest. Every
(insert the country name here) Idol show that pollutes our airwaves
is pale copycat of the spectacle that is Eurovision. Even outside of
Europe it is known for at least one song -- Waterloo by ABBA, the 1974 winner.

So -- this month at my website www.cool78s.com I turn to a 78 of a
Eurovision entry that was as big as Waterloo in its global impact --
Nel Blu di Pinto di Blu (Volare) by Domenico Modugno -- as released
on 78 by Fonit in Canada. Its on:

http://www.cool78s.com/Cool_200905.html

But -- on eof my many collecting goals is to get as many Eurovision
78s as possible. So far I know of:

1st Place - 1956: Refrain by Lys Assia (representing Switzerland --
78 on HMV in Italy)
1st Place - 1957: Net Als Toen by Corry Brokken (representing the
Netherlands -- 78 on Ronnex in Belgium)
3rd Place - 1958: Nel Blu di Pinto di Blu (Volare) by Domenico
Modugno (representing Italy -- 78 on Fonit in Canada and Argentina)
2nd Place - 1961: Are You Sure by the Allisons (representing the UK
-- 78 on Philips in South Africa)

Does anyone know of any others

Tony