[78-L] ADB & ETs

Birgit Lotz Verlag Birgit-Lotz-Verlag at gmx.de
Wed Apr 29 01:08:57 PDT 2009

"TAYLOR BOWIE: I'm not sure that this discussion of "transcriptions" includes the records
from MacGregor & Sollie,  but it seems pretty clear that those have not been
"rather well researched" at all."

Well, Wally Heider & Dan Mahoney's <Transcography. A Discography of Jazz and Pop Music Issued on 16" Transcriptions> also listed McGregors. It was prepared in the 1970s!!!  Since then a lot of additional material (also 8" and 12") has come up and was sold on lists, from Ray Avery to Kurt Nauck - all those ETs are in the hands of collectors and in institutional archives. (Apart from McGregor, many discographical works covering ETs have been published, notably about AFRS, and all the information is indeed readily available.)

"TAYLOR BOWIE: We will never have a perfect reference work on the topic,  but I think
(hope) this new and massive edition will be of great use to many of us."

Yes, certainly. And Richard should be applauded for having put decades of work into this project! But I still maintain the revised ADBR could have been so much better right NOW! I offered my help as I have plenty of information myself. As well I offered to get him in touch with the network of other collectors. Sadly, Richard did not want the information, nor did he have a computer, nor did he have an email, and thus was cut off from modern research and communication facilities. (He used longhand and, later, a typewriter)...

Rainer

--
Dr. Rainer E. Lotz
Birgit Lotz Verlag