[78-L] American Dance Band Disco & ETs

Birgit Lotz Verlag Birgit-Lotz-Verlag at gmx.de
Tue Apr 28 01:58:43 PDT 2009

I have been arguing with Richard Johnson since, if I recall correctly,
around 1985!
I pleaded (PLEADED!!) to include not only US bands that recorded abroad,
but of course to include all material originally issued on transcription
discs.
I think he now decided to include the former, but not the latter. Which
is a bloody shame because, the moment this gigantic work will appear in
print, it will already be obsolete, although the information is
available - whether readily or not so readily. He had two arguments
=> his publisher would be reluctant to print more pages
=> he (Richard) does not have any transcriptions and does not know much
about them.
I have never accepted this "reasoning". Who wants to acquire a book that
has deliberately suppressed important information? Any discographer's
deadly sin! The alternative to library binding hard cover would be
publishing on CD or DVD at a fraction of the cost.

The difference to other discs listed is their size (mostly 16"/40cm),
their speed (mostly 33,3 rpm), their commercial availability (mostly
restricted) and the material (mostly material other than shellac). So
what? Those transcriptions are contemporary recordings. They are the
original issues. They are standard groove.

It would be just as senseless and arbitrary to eliminate, say
=> discs of 15cm, 20cm, 26cm, 30cm just because they are not the
standard 25cm?
=> phonograph cylinders (and some 78s) that run at other speeds such as
60rpm, 80rpm, 90rpm, 100rpm?
=> or hill-and-dale recrodings?
=> or test pressings that were never on sale?
=> or vanity, private or other non-commercial discs?
=> or even unissued titles that are not known to have survived at all?
All those are listed, and rightly so, but not ETs.

The senselessness is even made worse by the compromise decision to
include those ET titles that have been re-issued on LP or CD (as of the
date of going into print), and only those. Surely and hopefully Richard
does not delete any Paul Whiteman 78s because they are not currently
available on CD?

Once published the revised American Dance Band Discography will
certainly be a great, MONUMENTAL work, it will be valid for decades to
come, but it could have been much better by not deliberately ignoring
available and relevant information.

It drives me mad. I'll have to obtain the work anyway.

Rainer

Dr. Rainer E. Lotz
Birgit Lotz Verlag
Rotdornweg 81