[78-L] Many songs - 1 side (was: picture disc/fitting all the songs on it)

agp agp2176 at verizon.net
Sat Apr 25 08:54:28 PDT 2009

This is not in the same vein necessarily, but a bit similar. Their is
a October 1957 release on UK Parlophone Parlophone (R4356)  - both 78
and 45 - called Top Ten Special that features:

A Side:
The King Brothers -  A Handful of Songs
Jim Dale - All Shook Up
The Vipers - Last Train to San Fernando

B SIDE:
The Vipers - Putting on the Style
Jim Dale - Wanderin' Eyes
The King Brothers - Build Your Love

The a-side clocks in at about 3.10 and the b-side at 3.14. It didn't
chart. The record is all short versions of the songs with a 1 second
or so pause in between. I'd guess they are unique recordings as
opposed to edited versions.

No doubt it was inspired by Decca doing the same sort of thing in
June 1956 with The Lord Taverner's All Star Hit Parade (F.10752) -
both 78 and 45 - in June 56 featuring

A side:
Dickie Valentine-  Out Of Town
Joan Regan - My September Love
Winifred Atwell -Theme From The Threepenny Opera

B side:
Dave King - No Other Love
Lita Roza - A Tear Fell
David Whitfield - It's Almost To-Morrow

My research shows this one as being on 78 and having a special label
and sleeve.

In July 1957 they did it again  with Volume 2 (F10915) Decca - both
78 and 45 -  featuring

A side:
Johnston Brothers- Around the World
Billy Cotton - Puttin' on the Style
Jimmy Young - When I Fall in Love

B Side:
Max Bygraves - A White Sport Coat
Beverley Sisters - Freight Train
Tommy Steele - Butterfly

These charted at number 2 and number 15 respectively in the UK. The
Decca ones also saw release in Australia (Decca Y6840 and Y6936).

I don't have the Decca ones, so I don't know how they were constructed.

Tony