[78-L] Obscure Columbia catalog...

Graham Newton gn at audio-restoration.com
Mon Apr 20 14:29:20 PDT 2009

Michael Biel wrote:

>> From: Graham Newton <gn at audio-restoration.com>
>> Somewhere around 1932, Columbia in the UK produced a catalog titled:-
>> "Catalog of Film Accompaniment Records"
>> It contained hundreds of their standard records of the day listed under 18
>> headings of 'Characteristic and Mood Music' and it included specialized mood
>> recordings for film synchronization by composers like J.S. Zamecnik.

> Wasn't this around the time when UK Columbia was recording sound effects
> records that did also appear on U.S. Columbia?  Since that was a special
> series, was this effort also involving a special re-labeling of these
> records, or could it merely be like Edison had done in the late teens by
> publishing a booklet "Mood Music" that just listed suggestions of using
> certain records in the regular catalog to create certain moods?

YES and NOPE...

Yes, there were sound effects in this catalog also, but no, I don't believe
there was any re-labeling of these discs.  The sound effects were one of the 18
headings, and the added specialized stuff was specifically recorded to compete
with other libraries that offered film synchronization music like Sam Fox.

A series of discs were offered on Oh-boy a few years ago that were standard
classical works on (American) Columbia Masterworks 12" blue labels with other
labels pasted over them to make a music library.

> On a similar note, yesterday at the Wayne NJ show I saw a record on a
> non-Gennett label but with a Richmond Indiana address of a background
> music-type record with a label notation that it is NOT licensed for
> synchronization.  Wish I could remember the label name.  Sound familiar?

Yes, I've seen them... few and far between.

... Graham Newton

--
World class professional services applied to tape or phonograph records for
consumers and re-releases, featuring CEDAR's CAMBRIDGE processes.