[78-L] Obscure Columbia catalog...

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Mon Apr 20 12:01:48 PDT 2009

From: Graham Newton <gn at audio-restoration.com>
> Somewhere around 1932, Columbia in the UK produced a catalog titled:-
> "Catalog of Film Accompaniment Records"
> It contained hundreds of their standard records of the day listed under 18
> headings of 'Characteristic and Mood Music' and it included specialized mood
> recordings for film synchronization by composers like J.S. Zamecnik.
> I wonder if that was something issued by Columbia only in the UK or would it
> also have seen the light of day in America? I've never heard anything
> previously about it... does anyone, by any chance, have a copy?

Wasn't this around the time when UK Columbia was recording sound effects
records that did also appear on U.S. Columbia?  Since that was a special
series, was this effort also involving a special re-labeling of these
records, or could it merely be like Edison had done in the late teens by
publishing a booklet "Mood Music" that just listed suggestions of using
certain records in the regular catalog to create certain moods?

On a similar note, yesterday at the Wayne NJ show I saw a record on a
non-Gennett label but with a Richmond Indiana address of a background
music-type record with a label notation that it is NOT licensed for
synchronization.  Wish I could remember the label name.  Sound familiar?

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com