[78-L] Ephemera as context

Stephen Davies SDavies at mtroyal.ca
Mon Apr 20 09:48:53 PDT 2009

[was: Tony Martin Decca re-issue]

Steven B writes:

<<<
Once was a time I could have provided the data using my half-vast archive
of catalogs; however, that was before my ...

        Steven, I feel your pain.  But I notice that you're not writing in
ALL CAPS, so you must be simmering down a bit.

        Thank you for the pointer to the catalogues as the solution to my
puzzle ("Whence came this composite Tony Martin disc?").  Obviously, there
is valuable information in the record company catalogues to which we
non-owners do not have access, and which the usual discographical
compendiums do not include.
        Here is a copyright question, then.  Are these catalogues
protected as "databases", or can we start copying them to a publicly
accessible forum?
        Is the release date of a new catalogue considered to be the first
release of a new disc?
        Does anyone track which paper sleeve would have been used for a
first release?  or how to date a paper sleeve?
        Does anyone track which label appears on the first release, as
opposed to subsequent pressings where another label may be used?  (We saw
this with the Six Brown Brothers on Emerson where a variety of labels were
used for the same disc within a short timeframe.)

        Now, I know that for most of you, your collecting is all about
gathering the captured sound, but for a few it might also be about
recreating the original item in it's natural environment.  I'm a big fan
of context, which comes from studying/assuming/fantasizing about the
factors in making a disc, not just the outcome, and about the contemporary
"colour" from that time.

        Years ago, I created a web project based on Dickens' unfinished
novel, "The mystery of Edwin Drood" (1870).  It's a tantalizing mystery,
in that Dickens left some clues as to where the novel was heading, and you
the reader may be able to figure out the ending.  Some of the clues are in
the recurring illustration which he commissioned for the front cover of
the serialization.
        If you were given the opporunity to read the novel online, or in a
paperback issue, or in the original serialization of six installments,
which would you prefer?  If you wanted to read the serialization, would
you like a library copy which has been bound, with the covers removed, or
would you prefer to handle (and this does exist) the separate issues
complete with the original advertising flyers and gewgaws for local
companies?
        Doesn't this last option sound much more exciting?  That's the
sort of option I would like future generations to have when they turn to
the 78's, of which we are the current custodians.  If they can't touch the
real thing, at least we can leave them a record of what a disc's original
features were.

        Comments?
- Stephen D
Calgary

addressed, and may
contain confidential, personal, and or privileged information. Please
contact the sender
immediately if you are not the intended recipient of this communication,
and do not copy,
distribute, or take action relying on it. Any communication received in
error, or subsequent
reply, should be deleted or destroyed.