[78-L] US Columbia in the UK

Harold Aherne leotolstoy_75 at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 19 10:20:24 PDT 2009

I don't know exactly when Columbia Graphophone set up the UK branch (1900, I
think I remember seeing), but from that point until 1951-52, US and UK Columbia
were closely linked. Nonetheless, the corporate relationship did not remain the
same during those 50-odd years. Please correct me if I'm wrong about any of
these rather fine points.

Until about 1922, UK Columbia was a subsidiary of US Columbia. The American
branch went through some financial turmoil in 1922-1923 and sold the British firm,
which by 1925 bought the American branch (so *that* was now technically the subsidiary).
That arrangement continued until the EMI merger in 1931. American Columbia (and OKeh)
could not be included because of US anti-trust laws (e.g., EMI would own Columbia and
have a large stake in Victor because of the HMV connection), so US Columbia was sold
to the Grisby-Grunow company, makers of Majestic radios. They sold it to ARC in 1934,
which was in turn bought by CBS in late 1938. They revived the Columbia label several
months later; all through this time and up to the early 50s US Columbia releases generally
appeared on UK Columbia (AFAIK).

After the CBS-EMI relationship ended, Columbia releases appeared on Phillips until 1961
and then, of course, on CBS (because EMI owned the rights to the Columbia name in most
of the eastern hemisphere). EMI retired its Columbia label in 1972 (at least in Britain, I don’t
know about the rest of Europe or India) and in the early 1990s relinquished its rights to the
Columbia name back to Sony (by now the owner of the American Columbia catalogue).

I think.

-Harold