[78-L] Folkways

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Sat Apr 18 19:48:10 PDT 2009

There have to be master tapes, insofar as Folkways kept pretty much everything
in print. I think only Columbia ever mastered direct from original discs to
33RPM lacquers, and that was during the experimental years before launching the
LP in 1948..by that time, tape was available, even if many companies hedged
their bets and cut original sides on tape and lacquer into 1949.

Which is not to say that tapes couldn't have been lost or misfiled or rendered
unplayable over the years.

dl