[78-L] Ge laughing record (was: BACKGROUND ARTIFACTS)

Malcolm Rockwell malcolm at 78data.com
Sat Apr 18 09:27:11 PDT 2009

see end of post

Dnjchi at aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 4/18/2009 12:01:15 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
> dlennick at sympatico.ca writes:

>>> This one, by any  chance?
>>>
>>>  http://www.amazon.com/Jelly-Roll-Bix-Hoagy-Recorded/dp/0253213150
>>>
>>>  dl
>>>
>> The very one.
>>  ________________________________
>>

> It came up on an "Amazon  Recommends...." not long ago, even though it's
> not a
> current book and many  copies are available very cheap. I ordered it and
> I've
> been enjoying  it..even though he makes the odd goof, like referring to a
> Gennett  Laughing Record as "found in every collection". (Never seen  one!)
>
> dl
>

> I have it.  Doesn't everyone?
>
>  Gennett 4994-A  Gennette Laughing Record Al. H. Weston &  Irene Young
> (8096)
>
>                  -B Valse Ma Jolie   Nathan Glantz  sax solo, orch acc.
> (8088)
>
> Don Chichester
>
> *******

That's one of them, Don. There were two issues accounted for to date.
Yours is one.
The other is

Ge 4994-A   Gennett Laughing Record
Al H. Weston & Irene Young
(8096a) [rec. 11/08/22 NYC]

Ge 4944-B   Blue Danube Waltz
Capodiferro's Band
(7776) [rec. 02/21/22 NYC]

Note also that both recorded takes of the laughing record, 8096(plain) &
8096a, were issued, both recorded on the same date, Nov. 8, 1922.
And, just to be complete, mx 8088 (3 takes recorded - plain, a & B) was
recorded on Oct. 31, 1922 NYC.

Re-check your matrix number of "Valse Ma Jolie"(from the runout area,
please) and let me know what take you have. Currently, I only show the
-B take as having been issued.
Malcolm