[78-L] [78-L Reginald Foresythe

yves francois aprestitine at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 18 08:09:01 PDT 2009

   Hello Taylor and Julian
It was recorded in London, I don't have that one, but I have an interesting one form August 19th, 1935 on British Decca, the "Homage to Armstrong" ("Chinatown My Chinatown") where the reed section plays a transcription of the Armstrong solo(issued on British Decca 5660), only wished he recorded that one with the American band (with Goodman, Mince, Kirby and Krupa amongst others), have you ever heard the Homage recording Taylor(I presume Julian has)? IMHO the  2 78's recorded with Goodman et all are the best performances of Reginald's reed writing, since the rhythm is much more subtle and pliant than the Foresythe British band recordings (though I am still collecting them, he was a fascinating arranger, and bands like Hines, Kemp, Waller, Warlop and Stone were all using his arrangements or recording his songs).
Yves Francois