[78-L] Kate Smith 1st 78 ?

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Sun Apr 12 15:45:35 PDT 2009

It is in fact her first issued recording, made October 28, 1926. Prior to that
she'd done two sessions for Victor, all unissued, all of the same songs (The
Little White House + Mary Dear, plus Jersey Walk which was never issued by
Columbia or Victor). She's accompanied by the composer, James F. Hanley, on the
  Columbia and the second Victor session, and by her own piano on the first
Victors.  "Loud" Kate didn't emerge for a while yet. She made some nice sides
in the 20s, including a couple with Guy Lombardo.

dl