[78-L] was: RCA record prevue now more from Ankara

Francesco Martinelli francesco.martinelli at gmail.com
Sun Apr 12 02:52:09 PDT 2009

Thank you for all the interesting answers. Ankara is a diplomatic city and
any kind of interesting records can be found, from Iranian and Lebanese
vinyls to Russian 78 of Tatar music; plus Turkey was always important in the
propaganda strategy so I guess quite a lot of material was shipped to radio
stations and such. In the last weeks I found a bunch of Fuentes Lps from
Columbia with various Latin American artists (including Cubans) and two
early Odeon 10" Lp from France, one by Armstrong with a 78-like sleeve
(label logo and hole to see the label) one by Ellington with a proper
sleeve, both stamped July 1953 (import dues into Turkey). Very interesting
in my continuing research on record packhaging. These usually come cheap,
compared to early Turkish Lp - some can have prices over 100 Liras (50
bucks) and original printing of Anatolian rock are even more expensive. Same
with early 78; those of regional interest (for example in Kurdish or Laz)
can be extremely expensive, while I bought nice jazz 78 by Johnny Hodges'
band on English HMV for 5/7 dollars.
fm