[78-L] Musical Mobsters

Ken "Silver Showcase" kenreg at tds.net
Sat Apr 11 22:05:30 PDT 2009

Michael Biel wrote:
> Ken "Silver Showcase" wrote:

>>> If I Had A Talking Picture of You
>>> Take Your Girlie To The Movies
>>>

>> Not quite.  "Take Your Girlie to the Movies" was published in 1919 so it
>> has nothing to do with the talkies.
>>
>> -- Ken, (bein' picky tonight.)
>>
> You have to have a before if you want to have an after.  Transition from
> Silent (before) to Sound (after).

I think that's stretching things.  The song says nothing at all about
talking pictures or any kind of transition to anything.  Its simply a
song about "the movies."  Or do you consider ANY song about the movies
to be about the transition from the silent to the sound era?
> (Of course I could also mention that there were talking
> movies long before The Jazz Singer and before 1919.)

Absolutely true.  But they weren't commercially viable or they weren't
technically practical and so the "talkies" were not much of a factor and
the "talkie era" had not yet arrived.

The deForest sound on film system, (Phonofilm), was introduced in 1922
but he was unable to interest any major filmmakers in using it until
after "The Jazz Singer" came on the scene.

BTW - one of these early deForest Phonofilm productions presents Noble
Sissle and Eubie Blake.  It was released in April of 1923.  As the
picture starts Sissle says, "Well, here we is in the movies."  To which
Blake responds, "This ain't no movie.  Its a talkie!"  I've wondered if
Blake coined the term "talkies" as it relates to motion pictures or if
it was in use before he said it in that film.  Anybody know?

-- Ken