[78-L] St Louis Blues?

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Fri Apr 10 19:24:52 PDT 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Taylor Bowie" <bowiebks at isomedia.com>

#4 according to Whitburn?! Basically...SFA!! His (de)famed attempts to
recreate
"Billboard charts" from years WELL before such had been created were/are
NOTED
for "terminal inaccuracy"...!! His method SEEMS to have been, "Well, this
artist is
famous currently (i.e. "Well, *I* have heard of him!!") and the song is
well-known
(to me, anyway...?!)...so it MUST have been a major hit!!" Meanwhile, many
of us
collectors are STILL searching for "gold records"...?!?! FEH!!

> Maybe I just hadn't noticed it before,   as in my early days of collecting
> didn't pay much attention to 12" records (yes,  that was pretty stoopid on
> my part).

For that matter, neither did record buyers of that era...first, they were
more
expensive...and second they often were broken when stored among
10" discs (as they often were)...! Trying to reach "complete" status when
artists have issued 12" discs is ALWAYS more difficult!!

> Anyone else have any personal observations about the scarcity (or not) of
> this Prince's record of St. Louis Blues?

Only that I don't think it is among my 55,000-plus shellac archives...?!

Steven C. Barr